Due to storms and shoreward winds on the Southern Cape coastline, many of these hatchlings become stranded and residents are asked to keep a lookout for beached sea turtles.
The Overstrand Municipality and other role players will ensure that the turtles are temporarily housed until they can be moved to the Two Oceans Aquarium where they will be rehabilitated until they are strong and healthy.
Please don’t put them back in the water! They are hypothermic and need rehabilitation urgently.
What you can do to help:
• Do not put the turtles back in the water
• Turtles need to stay warm and dry
• Do put it onto a towel and into a container like a 5 litre ice cream tub that has breathing holes
• Do not put water or sand in the container
• Make a note of exactly where, when and at what time the turtle was found
The Two Oceans Aquarium Education Foundation Turtle Rescue Network HOTLINE
Number is 083 300 1663 or phone rescue support on 083 657 0191.
Drop-off points for our area:
1. South African Shark Conservancy, Old Harbour, Hermanus, Tel 028 312 3029
2. African Penguin and Seabird Sanctuary – APSS in Gansbaai, Tel 072 598 7117 or e-mail: email@example.com
3. The Beanery, Shop 8c Gateway Centre
4. Alternatively contact the Environmental Management Section of Overstrand Municipality on 028 316 3724 (o/h) or the Control Room 028 313 8000/8111 or Emergency Control Room on 028 312 2400 (a/h) for further assistance.