Applications for the Chrysalis Academy three-month training course is currently open until 30 November 2022.
The academy facilitates two males and one female course per year. Female applications will only start in July.
For the January 2023 intake, young men, who want to contribute to society by positively changing their lifestyle, should apply.
The qualifying criteria for alpha males are:
- between 18 & 25 years old
- have passed Grade 9 (Standard 7) mainstream schooling
- not in employment, education or training
- have no criminal record and
- is a resident of the Western Cape Province
The life skills training is divided into four stages, which are compulsory for all students:
- Orientation Phase consists of various life skills training such as personal hygiene, building self-esteem, inter-personal communication, cultural diversity, substance abuse, and leadership skills, amongst other things.
- Outdoor Phase is aimed at building leadership capability and using the healing power of nature to overcome certain challenges. It also helps to create biodiversity and environmental awareness.”
- Skills Phase when students learn basic skills such as electrical circuitry, fire fighting, welding, cookery, youth development and a range of other skills depending on the students’ needs.
- Community Phase is when the students engage in various career discussions, volunteer at community projects and prepare for their exit back into their communities and home life.
Throughout the programme, the students have access to individual councelling and life coaching based on individual assessments. Furthermore, parent workshops and family sessions are offered to promote positive parenting and caring families in the communities.
Application forms can be downloaded from the municipal website; go to www.overstrand.gov.za click on Documents click on Forms or collect a form from Overstrand Municipality law enforcement offices:
- Hermanus Youth Desk at the Fire Services offices in Mussel Road
- Gansbaai/Stanford Youth Desk at the Law Enforcement Office in Gansbaai
- Kleinmond Youth Desk at Kleinmond Law Enforcement Office.
General enquiries on Chrysalis applications can be made to Ongie Tyilana at 028 313 5054 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information regarding the programme, contact Ntombi Mtholo on email: email@example.com.