In November 2024, 20 digit token identifier (TID) on all pre-paid electricity meters used in the Overstrand Municipal area will expire and will stop accepting electricity tokens.
Residents who are using these Standard Transfer Specification (STS) pre-paid electricity meters will therefore not be able to buy electricity, unless the pre-paid meter has been reprogrammed. Units that are on your meter will still be available after the reset, so please make sure that all tokens are punched in.
To ensure a seamless continuation of service, Overstrand Municipality will follow a phased in approach per area to assist consumers with the re-programming.
The first phase of the project will start in Kleinmond, Eastcliff, Hermanus Heights, Voëlklip, Westcliff, Northcliff, Beach Club, Whale Rock Estate, Hermanus Industria, Masakhane, Franskraal, Uilenkraalsmond and Gansbaai Farms from 1 November 2022.
Consumers with the conventional credit meters will not be affected by this.
The following questions that pre-paid consumers might have, will then be addressed:
- How do you know if your meter has been reprogrammed?
- What happens if I loose my token – will I be able to get the two 20 digit codes again?
- Buying pre-paid electricity from banking apps:
- What happens after the reprogramming of your meter?
- Can I update my meter before my area is scheduled?
- What if I can’t update my own meter?
The Municipality request our customers to co-operate during the process to upgrade their electricity pre-paid meters to ensure that you will not experience challenges in the instance that your meter has not been converted.
Should you wish to implement the change-over on your pre-paid meter as soon as possible, you are most welcome to contact the Municipality to request the upgrade via email@example.com
Please take note of the following before re-programming your pre-paid meter:
- You need to ensure that you enter all your old, unused credit tokens on your meter before you enter the key change tokens. If you do not enter your credit tokens first, you will not be able to use them after you have entered the key change tokens.
- Your credit on the meter will not be affected.