Courtesy of the R6.7 million received from the Western Cape Government’s Emergency Municipal Load-shedding Relief Grant, all nine emergency generators were installed by the end of August 2023.
Three are fully operational and the remaining six are in various stages of testing before being fully commissioned.
These generators are used at critical water and wastewater facilities to mitigate the impact load shedding has on the provision of these basic services.
The total project cost is R9 295 762.63 (including VAT) for the nine generators, including the Municipality’s contribution from own funding.
The generators were installed at the following water and sewer facilities:
- Mossel River sewerage pump station
- Kleinmond Tennis Courts sewerage pump station
- Kleinmond water treatment plant
- Klipgat spring pumpstation
- De Kelders water treatment plant
- Pearly Beach water treatment plant
- Gansbaai wastewater treatment plant
- Palmiet River raw water pump station in Kleinmond and
- Kraaibosch Dam bulk raw water pump station in Gansbaai