With the summer holiday season about to unfold, the Overstrand Municipality would like to warn residents and holidaymakers to be extra careful and aware of their safety over the period.
Let's also remember that the COVID-19 virus is still going around. Therefore we need to stay vigilant, stay safe but also move forward.
Don’t make it easy for criminals:
- Do not attract unwanted attention by openly displaying cash, cameras or other valuables.
- Motorists should refrain from keeping anything of value on the seats where it is easily visible.
- Items such as cell phones, wallets and other valuables should not be left unattended or in plain sight.
- Remember, walking and texting at the same time can be dangerous, especially when near or crossing the road. You will be less aware of what is happening around you.
- Solo cycling are discouraged. Don’t hike alone.
- If you choose to go for a walk along the cliff path or go for a hike in our nature reserves, tell somebody where you're going and when to expect you back.
- Program emergency numbers in your cell phone before your hike
Emergency contact numbers:
- 028 312 2400 in case of a fire, flood or medical emergency
- 028 313 8980 for security and safety issues
- 028 313 8000 for general enquiries / accounts
- 028 313 8111 for emergencies relating to basic services / municipal infrastructure
- 028 313 8996 law enforcement day-to-day complaints