Hermanus Traffic is expected to open from Tuesday, 7 July 2020, as staff members who were in self isolation can report back to work.

The rest of the staff are still recovering from Covid-19 and we wish them a speedy recovery.

As the Hermanus traffic offices will work at a 50% capacity, they will be open from 8.30 till 13:00 and again from 13:45 till 16.30.

  • Only 50 people per day will be allowed to renew motor vehicle licences discs for vehicles and/or the registration of vehicles.
  • Only 50 people per day will be allowed to renew drivers’ licences and/or professional driving permits (PrDP).

The Hermanus vehicle testing station will also re-open on Tuesday, 7 July 2020.

  • Only 20 vehicles per day will be tested for roadworthyness.

In order for Hermanus Traffic to open on Tuesday, the Kleinmond licensing and registration office must unfortunately close to help out for the rest of the week in Hermanus. We apologise for the inconvenience this will cause the Hangklip-Kleinmond residents.

The Gansbaai licensing and registration office will remain closed until further notice due to administrative challenges.

The Municipality encourages residents to make use of electronic funds transfer (EFT) to make payment whenever possible.

Hermanus residents can contact 028 313 8031 to ascertain the correct amount due before making an EFT payment.  Always use your car licence number as reference number.


Bring these along for the renewal of a motor vehicle license:

  • In person with identity document, passport, traffic register (original or copy)
  • Proof of address for Fica purposes. A utility bill will be suitable for this purpose, viz. a municipal, telephone or retail store account which is not older than three months.
  • The necessary finances

When somebody else renew on behalf of the vehicle owner:

  • Authorisation letter stating the registration number and the authorization of the person doing the transaction (the person's full names).  A certified copy of your ID and their own ID; The licence disc or the vehicle's registration papers; The appropriate fees.
  • In the case of a married couple, a spouse doing the transaction can bring their marriage certificate and this will be sufficient prove as permission.