Overstrand residents have until 23 March 2020, to comment on the new proposed liquor trading hours in the Overstrand.

The two page document contains significant implications for liquor licence holders in terms of when people can buy and enjoy alcohol responsibly.

This means that licensed businesses like bars/clubs and other waterholes cannot sell liquor after midnight and that consumers cannot buy alcohol for off-consumption (ie to take home) on Sundays.

The by-law outlines recommendations for amendment to the following:

  • liquor may only be sold for consumption on the licensed premises between of 10:00 and 24:00 on any day.
  • liquor may only be sold for consumption off the licensed premises between 08:00 and 20:00, Mondays to Saturdays only.

Residents are encouraged to comment on proposed changes.

The proposed changes can be seen as an attempt to clamp down on establishments that sell liquor illegally or without licenses and also an attempt to lessen liquor abuse, hooliganism, noise pollution and public disturbances.

The proposed liquor trading hours by-law will be available for perusal during office hours at the offices of the Area Managers in Gansbaai, Stanford, Hermanus and Kleinmond, in all the public libraries in the Overstrand and the Corporate Head Office of the municipality in Hermanus, as well as the official website at www.overstrand.gov.za, click on strategic documents, click on by-law and draft by-law.

Comments can be forward to the Municipal Manager (for attention Lionel Wallace), PO Box 20, Hermanus 7200, or fax 028 313 8931, or email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Did you know?

  • To legally sell or produce liquor, you need to have a liquor licence that is granted by the Western Cape Liquor Authority. This licence must be renewed every year.
  • A liquor licence is a document that is issued to a person permitting them to sell liquor to the public or to produce alcohol.
  • You can complain when a liquor licence holder breaks the law, or any condition attached to the licence.
  • All licence holders must display the licence conditions at the licensed premises for the public to view.
  • You can take photos, videos or other evidence to support your complaint

Lodge a complaint

If you think someone is not adhering to the liquor laws, you can lodge a complaint with the Western Cape Liquor Authority.

Complaints can be lodged about unlicensed liquor outlets in the community; outlets selling liquor to under aged people; or outlets staying open later than its licence allows.

According to a statement from the Western Cape Liquor Authority, they will investigate and act if enough evidence of wrongdoing is available. Serious offences will be referred to the Liquor Licensing Tribunal which may withdraw the licence, suspend the licence, make changes to the conditions of the licence or issue a fine.

Such activities can be reported to the Western Cape Liquor Authority on 021 204 9805 or email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. You can also visit www.wcla.gov.za. You may also complain to the South African Police Service (SAPS) and municipal law enforcement.


Contact Us

Hermanus 028 313 8000
Kleinmond 028 271 8400
Gansbaai 028 384 8300
Stanford 028 341 8500